Welcome to 7th Grade Science!
- Please arrive on time and ready to learn. A positive attitude will ensure your success this year!
- Please bring the following to class every day. You will get 5 points each day for being prepared:
- 3 Ring binder (with 4 dividers)
- "DO NOW" Sheets (keep in binder)
- Notes (green booklet)
- Onteora Planner
- Pen or Pencil
- Homework Folder (recommended) and that day’s completed homework.
- I am not giving you a textbook this year. If we use the textbook in class, I will provide one for you.
- Please hand in homework, labs and projects when they are due. Late homework will receive a maximum of 75% the next day, and a zero after two days. (This is a team policy). Late labs will receive a maximum of 75%.
- Always do your own work. If work is identical, both students will be asked to redo it.
Class Grading System
30 % Labs (hands-on activities)
20 % Homework and Classwork (one or two weekly)
10 % Class Participation (preparation, DO NOWs, notebook & binder checks)
20 % Quizzes (about every 2 weeks)
20 % Tests (at the end of each quarter)
- Please be respectful of people, equipment, and living things.
- Please follow directions the first time they are given and do your very best.
- Please follow all of the rules outlined in the middle school handbook (For example, no hats, cell phones, ipods, or backpacks are allowed in the classroom).
- You are responsible for your behavior and the way that you interact with the other students in the classroom. Everyone has a green card with their name on it. If you choose to behave in a way that is disruptive, rude or inappropriate, the following steps will be taken:
- You will receive a reminder/ warning. (“Yellow card”)
- You will receive a call or email home. (“Orange card”)
- You will be sent to the office. **Severe disruptions (such as any kind of physical violence, unsafe behavior, swearing, hate speech or bullying) will result in your immediate removal from the class.
Lab Safety Rules
- Follow directions carefully.
- Wear gloves or goggles if needed.
- Do not eat or drink anything. Keep your hands away from your eyes and mouth.
- Do not do anything you are not instructed to do.
- Be careful – NO HORSEPLAY!
- Be respectful to equipment- Don’t break anything.
- Handle animals carefully and kindly. Even a “nice” animal will bite when stressed.
- Let the teacher know right away if you have an injury, accident or allergic reaction.
- Clean up your work station. Wash hands if needed.
Exploring and Classifying Life
- Characteristics of living things
- Animals & Pets: Crickets, monarch butterflies, brown trout, gecko
- The Scientific Method – Science Fair Project (more info soon)
- Cells & Cell Processes
- Cell Reproduction & Division
The Human Body Skeletal & Muscular Systems
- Respiratory & Circulatory System
- Digestive System
- Nervous & Endocrine Systems
- Dissections: Owl Pellets, Chicken Wing, Cow eye, Frog
- (Optional- alternate activities are available)
Viruses ,Bacteria, Protists and Fungi
Ecology & Esopus Creek Unit
- Physical Features, water testing & topo maps
- Insects and Metamorphosis, Stream Creatures
- Stream monitoring & water chemistry - stream trip & trout release
Science 7 Assignments
Please check the 7th Grade calendar for quizzes, tests and long term assignments.